Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Perfect Escape



The part when the rain poured in sheets, and the two kids were stuck inside the Land Rover, with one kid holding a flashlight, both of them deathly still and afraid, while a Tyrannosaurus Rex stomped around outside. The thumping of its approach, the tiny ripples in the cup of water and the puddles of mud. Or the part, with the same two kids huddled behind the stainless steel kitchen counter, listening to the faint clicking of the approaching Raptor’s monstrous claw.  Or what about the time, near the beginning of the film, when you first see the herds of dinosaurs grazing.  Do you remember the magnificence of that moment?  It was amazing!  Something I’d never dreamed of seeing with my own eyes! 

I know there were many occasions before this, when I truly escaped, but this experience certainly impacted me the most. I remember I was in elementary school (4th grade).  I remember gripping the arms of my chair like I’d never done before—and have scarcely done since.  I remember where I was sitting in the movie theater, the smells, the sounds of quick breathing and shrieks. 

Jurassic Park was the first of many experiences like that—where I fell 100% into the moment and was carried away with the story, the characters, the thrills and chills.  I picked up the source novel by Michael Crichton and it was one of the first reading experiences that blew my mind.  I fell in love with books and the worlds that they opened.  Books like Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury, The Rainmaker by John Grisham, ‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls, Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card and hundreds more.  I loved escaping into those stories, not because I had to escape, but because it was so much fun.  Although time is short these days, I still love to open a good book—I look forward to a great movie, or a visit to an art museum.  Writing has been a natural extension of that passion.  I get swept away in the worlds that I create as a writer—and it has opened up endless possibilities of imagination and escape.

So let me ask you this: do you remember the first time that you were carried away? Do you remember the first time that through a piece of art, a movie, book, or whatever, you left behind your everyday worries and escaped for a few moments? 

My new novel, Impish, is that kind of escape.  I think all my writing is rooted in this love of being swept away with stories, of getting so caught up in a book that you don’t notice you’ve been reading for hours.  Impish has that sort of adventurous spirit that pulls you in and doesn’t let up.  And why do I tell you this? 

Because I’d like to invite you to give IMPISH a try. 

As of today, it’s for sale on Amazon.com (only $3.99), the Nook ($3.99), and in your favorite bookstore.  My goal in writing this book was to make you smile and laugh out loud, to grip the arms of your chair and to… escape and have little fun.  

Impish is one of those stories—and I know you’ll love it.

17 comments:

  1. I know that feeling. Especially older King. I remember reading 'Salem's Lot as well, and just not able to put it down. That happened with many books by Stephen King, The Shining especially. I read Jaws over twenty times, and the movie remains my favorite all-time, with a Memorial Day weekend viewing every year now a tradition. Music also does that to me, and from my early days, listening to Jesus Christ Superstar over and over, to now, letting The Beatles and Springsteen take me away, as well as a dark journey into Pink Floyd's "The Wall" being incredibly relaxing and inspiring. Inspiration and escape takes many forms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impish soundslike a lot of fun...I just bought it...missed the $.99 sale, though...`

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got my copy and it's on my TBR list...Laughing and escaping...the perfect combination. Look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a look at it. It looks like my sort of book. As soon as I get this mountain of work off my back, I will get it, read it and review it. I certainly am intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There truly is nothing like being carried away in a movie or a book. As a child I would become so deeply consumed with my reading, I would forget where I was and not even hear my name being called. Can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful posting that made me reflect on those moments where I was transported to another time, where I experienced something in my imagination that could never have happened in reality. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do remember being that absorbed in reading. Many times. Even as a child, I could get swept away by foreign fairy tales. When a little older, I loved Gothic romance/suspense. And as an adult, there have been many books that could take me away. Dollar for dollar, there is no better entertainment value than a well-written book.
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post. I remember as a young child being completely taken away by books. Whether they were being read to me (my mom was an avid reader) or I was reading a story myself, the effect was still as magical. To this day, I've always got two or three novels that I'm reading, in addition to my writing projects. And I agree about not 'needing' or 'wanting' to escape. It was simply that I truly enjoyed all those other worlds and other 'people' and their adventures. What great memories you've brought back...

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing like being swept away by a book. I have had that happen to me on several occasions. They weren't a specific genre, as it's more the writing than anything else. Off to check out your book.
    Barbara Phinney
    http://barbphinney.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the list of summer-read escape books. I read "Ender's Game" to my kids, and liked it so much, went on to read three more books by Scott Card, so will take your word on the rest. How about current escapist art? Game of Thrones! Not for the sex and violence. It would be completely absorbing even without.

    Good luck with your book promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can still remember clearly the joy of entering the world of Winnie-the-Pooh when I was 5, and two years later Kenneth Grahame had my heart and soul wandering the lands around the river in "The Wind in the Willows." I am forever living the books I read :) Music does the same thing. Anything by Brahms, turn on the music, put on the headphones, close my eyes and I'm in my own private 'Fantasia.'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post Derrick. Being a bit dyslexic, I'm a slow reader and so it takes a lot to get me hooked and I choose my reads carefully becasue you can count the books I get through in a year on one hand.

    For me it was the sweeping other-scapes of HG Wells that caught my imagination as a child - The First Men in the Moon, The Invisible Man, War of the Worlds (which took place all around my own neck of the woods - imagine that!) and later The Hobbit showed me how a character (Gollum) can jump out of the page and be as real as anything around you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds funny, but the movie, Ice Castles was the first time I was swept away. From the music to the acting, it was the first time I was moved. Every time it came on the "then new" HBO, I had to watch it. Drove my mom crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone needs a good escape! :) Best of luck with your book, Derrick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first escapism...is difficult to place since I have been a daydreamer all of my life. I remember being terrified of the witch from the Wizard of Oz and your description of Jurassic Park brought back vivid memories. Yep! the glass ripples did it for me. So, I look forward to reading your book 'Impish'. It's on my next book to read list (hope to start it this week).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice blog. I can't remember my first. escapism. Perhaps the Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll never forget the joy that I felt when I learned to read! My small world suddenly grew to a huge universe full of possibility.

    Impish looks like a great book. I look forward to reading it : ))

    ReplyDelete