Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Play That Game of Checkers


I went on a date last night with my wife.  We went to this fantastic little restaurant in Coconut Grove called Jaguar—famous for its ceviche, and rightfully so.  After dinner, we went to see The Avengers (like everyone else in the world, it seems J).  The evening was very pleasant—a much needed respite from daily stresses and challenges.

We got home late, said goodbye to the babysitter, and we checked in on the kids.  As soon as their walked through their bedroom door, my son opened his eyes and smiled at me.  He sat up sleepily and whispered, “Dad, is it time to play our game?”

My heart sunk.  He’d been asking to play a game of checkers for several days, and with everything going on (those confounded daily stresses and challenges) I’d delayed the game that he was so looking forward to.  Even worse, because of my work schedule, it had been nearly two days since I’d seen my kids awake. 

After tucking him in bed and watching him fall almost instantly asleep (he really was too tired for the game, despite his excitement), I fell asleep thinking about those little moments that we lose with our kids, our loved ones, our friends.  I thought about all the times that we get so caught up in everything going on in life, that we forget to actually live—to enjoy the world around us and the relationships we have.  I thought about that precious little girl, Avery, who was diagnosed with a terminaldisease at such a young age, and her parents who made a bucket list of all the things they wanted to do with her before she passed on from her short life.  Needless to say, I promised myself that I would play that game of checkers with my son.

A few days ago, I was invited to speak and do a reading at an art club.  I read the first chapter from my newest novel, IMPISH, which also involved a father’s game of checkers with his daughter that will never be played.  (This was purely a coincidence, as I wrote that scene more than a year ago—and have only been thinking about it recently as I’m gearing up for the release of IMPISH on May 17, 2012).  I realized that for all of the outrageousness of Impish, the dark humor, offbeat characters, and crazy plot twists, an underlying theme that I kept returning to, is this idea to make every moment of life count—before it’s too late.  Now, I don’t think that we’re all going to hell as the father in this book inadvertently did (I promise that IMPISH is more lighthearted and fun than it sounds ), but life marches on and will inevitably end one day.

So today, put aside the stress and challenge of your everyday endeavors and play that game of checkers.  That’s what I’m going to do.


18 comments:

  1. Interesting story and so true. I've been planning to read the Hobbit with my 6 yr old daughter. I never seem to get around to it, working fulltime, maintaining the house and writing novels in my spare time. Maybe tonight I will break that cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how did you like the Avengers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are always those times - the blanks on the canvas, the moments of colour we somehow miss; but life is life, and not least of the skills the child must learn is how to gain attention when the need is there. If we gave them all the sharing we wished it would be gratifying for us, but selfish too. They would build their society in us, instead of seeking it in the world. The lonely times, neglected times - those are when the doors to the imagination are opened; those are the times we start to dream.
    I used to suffer from guilt for the same reasons as you, until I saw each of my mistakes repeated in my children, and had the pleasure of seeing them succeed in overcoming them where I failed. The most 'successful' of my three sons is the one who, arguably because of circumstance, I spent least time with!
    Our failures are a world away from criminal neglect of a child: we do our best, but we are fallible, and we get tired. The experiences we miss we regret, perhaps disproportionately, but just can't have them all. Nor can our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said and good thoughts. Sometimes its hard to make that connection, that what we think is a diservice to our kids may sometimes be the push they need to develop and improve. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Well, Mr. Hibbard, you lost time with your kids, but spent the time with your wife. Sucks that you had to make a choice, but I applaud you on choosing between time with your family and time with your family versus time with your family and work or whatever other stressors exist for you. I think you should consider setting up a checkers appointment with your kid and keep it just like any other appointment. Your kid seems to already have learned patience, for which I applaud you. If you can teach him how to keep appointments as well, then I think your game of checkers will all the more valuable.

    I look forward to Impish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog post, however, it reminded me of how I'm not able to spend quality time with my family because I'm busy writing! Then, again, I take reassurance from William Faulkner's famous 1958 'Paris Review' quote:

    The writer's only responsibility is to his art. He will be completely ruthless if he is a good one. He has a dream. It anguishes him so much that he can't get rid of it. He has no peace until then. Everything goes by the board: honor, pride, decency, security, happiness, all, to get the book written. If a writer has to rob his mother, he will not hesitate; the “Ode on a Grecian Urn” is worth any number of old ladies.

    I'm going to hate to break hearts when I'm turning down the next checkers game, but that's a writer's life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Couldn't have said it better! What we remember, what matters, is not the late nights, the work, it's tiny moments like playing catch with dad or just sitting on the porch telling him about the boy who pulled our piggytails. Be there, it makes everything else seem less important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great reminder to live in the moment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me about how hard it is to fit everything in one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many years ago I made a decision between my home and my children. I was a full time working mother so time spent with my kids was premium - just as it is with a dad normally on the go anywhere but the home.

    The home, the haven where there are tugs between spouse's and children's needs in who comes first, the chicken or the egg.

    If the spouse puts the other spouse first, it is an example of caring and sharing especially if parents act as one.

    Our sons knew they could speak to us about anything and at almost anytime and while my husband had more hands on with games and interaction as they got older, it was I they spoke to with concerns knowing they would not be talked down to but rather treated as the people they were, just still in miniature size.

    They were expected to have their own pursuits but also expected to be an important cog in the machinery of our family life.

    We never promised but always tried to follow through on requests.

    As any unit that is comprised of five strong willed personalities there was conflict but never anything that could not be solved before the sun went down even if negotiations took one into the next break of dawn.

    If a promise is made, always follow through - disappointment festers into discontent. Delayed gratification many times fosters patience as long as it is delayed not forgotten.

    And Dad, don't quit playing when the student outstrips the teacher. A love filled life is a goal few reach but it's built on small steps of minute commitments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. john @mist_writerMay 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM

    Very nicely said. You have reminded us that there are many things that need to be accomplished in life but, that family comes first and its the promises we keep in our family life that make us who we are in the rest of our life. No matter how busy life is we are never to busy for family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and definitely something all parents need to think about. Yesterday I spent some time with my two youngest kids with our horses. I kept my promise to them and we had a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for bringing this to mind--so easy to get lost in our life agendas that we forget what is truly important.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time for a new post, slacker! Your Imp is slacking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. We need to keep everything in check, and yes, Jaguar is a great little place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Derrick, I don’t have kids and I’m always running to keep up! Lately, I’ve been considering a part time contract at work – less money, but more time for partner, family, friends and my writing. I’ve been keeping an eye out anything that will help me make this decision. ‘Life marches on and will inevitably end one day.’ Your blog post has inspired me…

    ReplyDelete