Saturday, June 23, 2012

That's Just Life

This will be a short post, but I needed to write down.

First, a little background.  Our youngest daughter, Adelaide Bleu, recently discovered her undying love of toothbrushes.  It's weird, I know, but she loves to carry them around--all the toothbrushes in our house--clutched in her chubby little hands.  Hopefully the stage will pass, but for now, this toothbrush fetish is super cute.  (And only annoying on some occasions, like when you have to brush your teeth, and your toothbrush is gone...)

So a few mornings ago, the family was up and getting ready for the day.  I was brushing my teeth with all three kids in the bathroom doing their routine.  Liam was playing with a spaceship, Zoe brushing her hair, and Adelaide doing her best to get a hold of all the toothbrushes.  I wasn't paying attention, and was startled when my oldest daughter started wailing.  Adelaide had apparently seized Zoe's toothbrush, and in her effort to escape the bathroom, dropped the toothbrush into the toilet.

Zoe was upset because this was her new 'princess' toothbrush from the dentist.  Adelaide, bewildered at the strange reaction of her older sister, proceeded to fish the toothbrush from the toilet (which, thankfully, had clean water.)  I quickly pulled Adelaide from the bowl's edge and started washing her hands.  I told Zoe that we would get her a new toothbrush, but that didn't seem to help her despair.  Liam (who is just turning four), put his hand on Zoe's shoulder and said, with the utmost wisdom of a little kid, "Zoe, sometimes things happen, and that's just life."

"What did you say?" I asked Liam.

"That's just life." He said in all seriousness, and zoomed his spaceship out of the bathroom.

2 comments: